- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, skin removed in stripes, cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices (makes about 12 slices)
- One 28-ounce jar prepared marinara sauce
- 3 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (12 tablespoons)
- 4 ounces grated Romano cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat broiler. Combine the oil, lemon, herbs, salt, and pepper. Lay eggplant slices on a baking sheet with sides lined with parchment paper and brush with half the oil mixture. Broil 4-5 minutes, turn eggplant over, brush with remaining oil mixture and broil another 4-5 minutes. Eggplant should be tender to the bite. Set aside.
Set oven to 350 degrees. Mix the 2 cheeses together. Using 4 of the eggplant slices for a base, top each with about 5 tablespoons marinara sauce, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture, top with 1 basil leaf and repeat process until 3 slices are stacked with cheese, sauce, and basil in between. Top each stack with 2 tablespoons cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon crumbs. (There will be 4 stacks.) Place on baking sheet with sides that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or lined with parchment. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and eggplant is heated through.