- 2 Cups boiling water
- 1 ancho chilie pepper, halved with seeds removed
- 4 Cups milk (whole milk preferred)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 Ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons organic honey
- 1 Tablespoon almond slivers, ground fine
Over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan add chile pepper to boiling water. Cook until liquid is reduced to approximately 1 cup. Remove chile pepper with tongs. Strain spicy water over a bowl. Set aside.
Over medium heat in a medium saucepan, combine milk, vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks. Heat until small bubbles appear around the edges. Reduce heat to simmer. Add chocolate and honey. Whisk continuously until chocolate is melted. Turn off heat. Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks with tongs and discard.
Add spicy chile-infused water a small bit at a time until desired taste is achieved. Add milk to achieve desired thickness of hot chocolate. Serve in small mugs or glass cups garnished with whipped cream and ground almonds.