- 1 1/2 Pound red bliss potatoes, quartered and boiled
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 large scallion, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1 rib of celery, ¼-inch dice
- 1/4 small red bell pepper, ¼-inch dice
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 7 Ounces canned black beans (½ of a 15 ½-ounce can)
- 1 Cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Teaspoons ground chile powder
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Step 1: Rub the inside of a medium stainless steel bowl with 1 clove of crushed garlic and discard the garlic. Slice 1 1/2 pounds potatoes with ¼ inch thickness. Add the warm, sliced potatoes to the bowl. Drizzle the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar and toss to coat evenly.
Step 2: Add 1 thinly sliced scallion, 1 diced celery, 1/4 diced red bell pepper, 4 ounces diced green chiles, 7 ounces black beans, 1 cup cilantro, 2 teaspoons chile powder and cumin, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup mayonnaise. Mix well with a plastic spatula, being careful not to mash the potatoes.
Step 3: Refrigerate for a couple of hours to marry the flavors. Be sure to serve your Southwestern Potato Salad just below room temperature because excessive coldness masks the flavors.