This burger includes a tender sirloin patty made with shallots and spicy chili powder topped with all of the trimmings — and then some. We like to think of this as a beef burrito slammed inside a hamburger bun, with salsa, jalapeños, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped shallots
- 3/8 Teaspoons salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Pound 90 percent lean ground sirloin
- 1/4 Cup refrigerated fresh salsa, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 Boston lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
Combine first 5 ingredients and 2 tablespoons salsa in a medium bowl. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a ½-inch-thick patty. Press thumb in center of each patty, leaving a nickel-sized indentation.
Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 cheese slice; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.
Place 1 lettuce leaf on bottom 1/2 of each bun; top with 1 patty, 1 ½ teaspoons salsa, and bun top.