Talk about an aromatic meal. One whiff of this, and you’ll be instantly transported to your “happy place” where comfort food reigns supreme. After all, there is nothing like a slow cooker to make you feel at home.
— Emily of Holistic Squid
Click here for more recipes from the Holistic Squid.
- 5 -6 pound pork roast (butt or shoulder) – this can be boneless or bone-in
- 1/4 Cup juniper berries, crushed
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Cup white wine (substitute with 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar and 1/4 c. water if on GAPS diet)
- 2 Tablespoons sea salt
- 2 quarts homemade or store bought naturally fermented sauerkraut
- 2 Cups homemade chicken or pork stock
Use a 5 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker
Rinse the roast and pat dry with paper towels
Mix wine, juniper berries, garlic, and sea salt. Pour over roast, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Remove roast from marinate, pat dry.
Sear all sides of roast in a hot pan (fat side first) until browned.
Place roast into slow cooker with marinade and stock.
Cook for 8 hours on low or until meat begins to falls apart.
Add sauerkraut and cook until well mingled – another hour or 2 on low.