- 1 Pound dried black beans, rinsed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
Soak the beans overnight or 6 to 8 hours prior to cooking. Drain and rinse.
In a large pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cumin and chipotle and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add drained beans and 10 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender.
Remove 4 cups soup and carefully purée in a blender. Return purée to pot and stir in cilantro, nutritional yeast, and lime juice. Spoon into bowls for serving and garnish with avocado.