Shrimp and Vermicelli Hotpot Recipe
To cook this dish you need a clay pot or a heavy-bottomed pan. The original clay pots were glazed on the inside only and used for slow cooking, braising, and stewing.
- 6 ounces mung bean vermicelli noodles, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, rinsed under cold water, and drained
- 4 dried Chinese black (shiitake) mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained, stems discarded, and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 scallions, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- ½ pound raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Place the ingredients, one by one in the above order, in layers in a clay pot or heavy bottomed pan.
Cover and place over medium heat for 5 minutes. Check that the shrimp are cooked, then remove from the heat and serve, garnished with cilantro sprigs.