Spring weather has been gracing New York since February, and finally spring vegetables are here! Monday night I chose a few of the Springtime’s key offerings and put together a delicious and deceivingly simple dinner. We started with a salad of endives, radiccio, arugula and pecorino; and the main event was the pizza: an asparagus, leek, goat cheese and prosciutto pizza.
To make the pizza, I sliced one, whole leek – making use of both white and green – and sauteed half of it in olive oil for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, I broke off the ends of the asparagus spears and cut the edible parts in fourths. I then stuck the quartered asparagus in the microwave for one minute to cook through a bit. While the leeks continued to cook, I worked on the salad. When the first half of the leeks were done, I removed them fromt he heat and set aside, and sauteed the next half in the same pan, but this time I added a shower of balsamic vinegar. While this batch was cooking, I rolled my pizza dough out on a floured surface and finished the salad. By the time the second batch of leeks was done, I brushed the pizza dough with olive oil, spread all of the leeks onto the pizza, layered the asparagus on top, and sprinkled chunks of goat cheese all over the pizza. When the pizza had cooked for about 11 minutes in the oven, I removed it and added the prosciutto, and then cooked it for one more minute. So easy, so good!
You can omit the prosciutto for a vegetarian meal, and switch up the cheese to pecorinno, parmesian or mozerella if you choose!
- 1 Leek
- 6 Asparagus Spears
- 8 Ounces Goat Cheese
- 4 Ounces Prosciutto
- 1 Pizza Dough
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Ounces Asparagus
8 Goat Cheese
4 Ounces Prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Slice the leek into thin slivers
- Sautee 1/2 of the leek slices in about 2 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat for 12 minutes – Meanwhile break the ends of the asparagus and cut asparagus spears in quarters
- Microwave asparagus or steam for one minute to soften slightly
- When first batch of leeks are done, remove and set aside
- Add next batch of leeks in the same pan (there should be some residual oil – if not, add a little more) and pour two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar over them; sautee for 12 minutes
- Role pizza dough out on a floured surface and brush liberally with extra virgin olive oil
- When second batch of leeks is done, spread all leeks over dough and then top with the asparagus – Sprinkle goat cheese over the pizza – don’t be shy!
- Cook pizza on a pizza stone or straight on the oven rack for 10 – 12 minutes
- Remove from oven 1 minute before it’s ready, and lay prosciutto over the pizza