Brown sugar isn’t the only thing that can be tossed into a bowl of oatmeal. Opt for a more vegetable and protein heavy breakfast with this savory oatmeal recipe. Feel free to swap out the toppings with other favorites.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 Cups gluten-free steel cut oats
- 4 sausage links, such Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Little Links
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped (about 5 cups chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon butter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 medium radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
Step 1: In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, stir in 3/4 cup steel cut oats, and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until thick and creamy.
Step 2: While oats simmer, cook 4 sausage links according to package directions.
Step 3: In a large saucepan with a steamer basket inside, bring 1-inch of water to a boil. Add 1 bunch of chopped kale (about 5 cups) and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 4: In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 1 teaspoon butter. Crack 2 large eggs into the skillet and fry, flipping once, until cooked to desired degree of doneness.
Step 5: Divide oatmeal between 2 bowls. Top with kale, sausage, eggs, 4 sliced radishes and 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese.