Samuel Merritt's Top 10 Hangover Cures
Hangover cure? There is no cure. Ben Franklin said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I say that hangovers are proof that we're not in heaven yet. Though we all try to drink responsibly, the hangover is a predictable danger of participating in the beer business.
That said, here's a run-down of some of the things my compatriots and I have used for a hangover.
1. A big bacon, egg and cheese sandwich with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Pair with an ice-col Yoo-hoo or fresh, cold Coke with lemon.
2. Hair of the dog: Go to the bar and muscle down a couple of beers. The hangover will be gone, but there is a huge risk of dependency if you repeat this.
3. German Hefeweizen: Unfiltered wheat beer has its yeast still available. Brewer's yeast provides vitamins B1 through B9, and your liver needs those.
4. Similac baby formula: This is gross and I've tried it for a hangover. For those who think medicine should taste bad if it's going to work, drink up.
5. Half Coke, half milk: Get a big glass and gently mix them together. Drink up, rest and repeat.
6. A dark, quiet room with a predictable movie, Chinese food and a bunch of ginger ale, no phone, no email. Good luck with that.
7. A brisk walk in the cold air for at least an hour, then take a nap. Repeat.
8. Chicken Pad Thai and an Allagash White Ale.
9. Hot, salty French fries dipped in a chocolate milkshake.
10. A long, lingering brunch with lots of conversation and no cell phones.