- 1 red beet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces seedless watermelon, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- ½ avocado, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- ½ ounce mache
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar, preferably aged 15 years
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using your hands, coat the beet with vegetable oil and wrap in heavy aluminum foil. Bake until tender, about 30-45 minutes. Allow the beet to cool slightly and peel off the skin while it is still warm. Chill the beet in the refrigerator until cold, then cut into 1 ½-inch cubes.
In a small salad bowl, combine the beet, watermelon, avocado, and mache. Dress with the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then toss together. Finish the salad by drizzling the balsamic vinegar on top.