Notes:I used the hopping bunny cookie cutter you may use any cookie cutter of your choice.
For bunny eyes I dissolved some cocoa powder in water and used toothpick to circle the eyes. You may just melt some chocolate chip and use toothpick for the eyes. (If you plan to melt chocolate chip just microwave them in a microwave safe bowl for stirring constantly in every 30 seconds).
Feel free to reuse for more cookies if you have any leftover dough after cutting the cookies.
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ cup black berries
- 1 egg
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 cup candy melts (for decoration, optional)
- Sprinkles (as per requirement for decoration, optional)
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with a liner.
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients (except blackberries).
- In a food processor combine blackberries along with the wet ingredients and process until smooth. May take about 2 minutes.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and start folding with a spoon. Once coated use your hand to knead into a dough. (Dough maker can also be used to knead it). I prefer using hands to knead it into dough.
- If you want your cookies to be soft put the dough in a covered container into the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before rolling. I wanted my cookies to be crispy so I immediately rolled out the dough but kept half of the dough in the refrigerator for my daughter because she likes softer cookies.
- On a flat dusted surface roll out the dough up to ¼ inch thick and as smooth as possible.
- With your choice of cookie cutter shape your cookies and place them on the cookie sheet.
- Put the cookie into the oven and let it bake for 10-15 minutes. Until the sides start to brown.
- Take it out and let the cookies cool down completely before decorating them.
- You may eat the cookie with no decoration also. It will taste as good and is healthier. You will be cutting down on lot of sugar as well.
- If you plan to decorate the cookies melt the candy melts as per the package instructions.
- Spread the melts on one side of the cookie with a knife/small brush evenly. Sprinkle and let it stand for 1 minute.
For nutritional details click here