- 1/4 Cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Teaspoons sea salt
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cucumber, halved, seeded, scored with a zester, and sliced into half-moons
- 1 small seedless watermelon (preferably the “sugar baby” variety), chopped
- 4 Ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
In a small bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the black pepper, and the red pepper flakes until the sugar has dissolved.
Add the red onion and let the mixture stand for 1 to 2 hours. Drain the red onion, discarding the liquid.
Make one large salad in a salad bowl or make individual salads by gently combining the red onion, cucumber, watermelon, and feta.
Season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and lightly drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with chopped mint.
Adapted from Gumbo Love by Lucy Buffett (Grand Central, 2017