Tofu Mexicali Scramble Recipe
A staple for any vegan or anyone who wants to change up their morning routine, a tofu scramble is a fast and easy meal to whip up. This one in particular just comes alive with the use of exotic spices and cilantro. I have seen it convert tofu-haters into abusers, first-hand. Try it yourself.
- One 14-ounce/400-gram package extra-firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup (60 millileter) salsa
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- 1 cup (240 grams) canned refried beans
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
In a medium bowl, crumble the tofu and add the salsa. Set aside to marinate. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and then add the onion. Sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers, salt, and cumin. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the tofu mixture and chili powder and cook 5 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat the refried beans over medium heat until warm. Place the tortillas on a cookie sheet and bake until warm, about 4 minutes. Spread ¼ cup of the refried beans on each tortilla and top with tofu and vegetable mixture. Add the pepper and sprinkle with cilantro.