Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Roll Sausage
1 ½ cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 cup water
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, melted, divided
3 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
Sour cream (optional)
Thai sweet chili sauce or salsa (optional)
- Cook sausage in large nonstick skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Return to skillet. Stir in corn; set aside to cool.
- Combine water, 6 tablespoons butter, eggs, red pepper, jalapeño pepper, onions, cilantro and black pepper in large bowl. Stir in sausage mixture.
- Mix cornmeal, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Add to sausage mixture; mix well.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the remaining butter in skillet over MEDIUM heat. For each corn cake, pour a generous 1-tablespoon batter into skillet; cook 2-3 minutes or until edge is slightly dry. Turn and cook second side 2 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Stack corn cakes on a heated plate; cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, using small amount of remaining butter to grease skillet between batches. Serve warm with a small dollop of sour cream and drizzle of chili sauce, if desired.
Substitute 1½ cups self-rising cornmeal for the regular cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
For full-size corn cakes, prepare as directed using ¼ cup batter for each cake.Yield
18 servings (about 3 mini corn cakes each)