This recipe freezes well, too, for great leftovers.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 6 cups freshly cooked)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 Cup chopped cilantro leaves, washed and dried
1. Warm the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and salt. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
2. Add the sweet potato and lime zest, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more, continuing to stir occasionally.
3. Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cocoa, bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Serve over brown rice, if desired, with lime wedges and cilantro, or with corn bread, biscuits, or taco chips alongside.