Colorful bell peppers are stuffed with a savory filling featuring sweet Italian sausage, onion, farro, kale, and panko bread crumbs. They're hearty and delicious, and you can make them ahead of time and just pop them in the oven when it's convenient.
If you love kale then you should also try making kale smoothies. Trust us you’ll want to drink these.
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 Ounces sweet Italian pork sausage (about two links), casing removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Cup broth, such as Swanson® chicken broth or Swanson® certified organic chicken broth or Swanson® Natural Goodness® chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup uncooked farro, rinsed
- 4 Cups kale leaves, chopped
- 3/4 Cups seasoned panko
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Set the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut the tops off the peppers. Discard the stems, core, and seeds. Chop the tops and reserve. Place the peppers in an 8-by-8-by-2-inch baking dish.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, sausage, garlic, and reserved chopped pepper tops and cook for 5 minutes or until the sausage is well browned, stirring often to separate meat.
Increase the heat to high. Add the broth and farro to the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the kale. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the farro is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the panko and cheese. Spoon the farro mixture into the peppers. Loosely cover the baking dish with foil.
Bake for 40 minutes or until the peppers are tender.