- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups broth, such as Swanson® chicken broth or Swanson® certified organic chicken broth or Swanson® Natural Goodness® chicken broth
- 2 Cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (fifteen ounces) white navy beans, undrained
- 1 can (four ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon jalapeño hot pepper sauce
- 6 flour tortillas (eight-inches), warmed
- 1/3 Cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, optional
Heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic powder. Cook and stir until the onion is tender.
Stir the flour into the skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the broth. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
Stir the chicken, beans, chiles, cumin and hot pepper sauce in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Line each of 6 serving bowls with the tortillas. Divide the chili among the bowls. Serve topped with cheese and cilantro, if desired.