- 2 Pounds bone-in chicken, skin removed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 Cups water
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1/2 Cup matzo ball mix
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
Add the first 10 ingredients (from the chicken to the salt) to the slow-cooker, and stir to combine. Cover, and cook on a low heat for 8 hours.
Once cooked, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and discard the bones. Return the chicken to the soup.
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, stir together the matzo ball mix, vegetable oil, and eggs, until combined. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill. Remove from the refrigerator and shape into 1-inch balls.
Carefully place the balls in the soup. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.