Chef David Kinch may be known for his landmark three Michelin-starred California restaurant Manresa, but at The Bywater in Los Gatos, California, he's showcasing the best of New Orleans, the city where he grew up. Here is The Bywater's recipe for classic shrimp remoulade.
- 1 Pound shrimp, poached and chilled (U 31-36)
- 1 Cup remoulade sauce
- 2 avocados, cut into large chunks
- 2 romaine heads, cut into speard
- 2 Tablespoons fines herbs (tarragon, parsley, chives)
- 1 Cup okra, crispy fried in oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup onions, small-diced
- 3/4 Cups Dijon mustard
- 3/4 Cups horseradish
- 3/4 Cups white wine vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Creole spice
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 dash Crystal hot sauce
- salt, to taste
Mix the shrimp with 1 cup of the sauce and let sit for a few minutes. In the meantime cut and season the avocados with salt and pepper. Arrange the romaine leaves in the bottom of four bowls. Next give every bowl half of an avocado scooped out of its skin. Divide the shrimp amongst the bowls and sprinkle the herbs on top. Lastly, pile on the crispy fried okra and serve immediately.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth. Sauce will keep for a month in the fridge.