- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon salt, such as SALT FOR LIFE Sea Salt + Potassium Blend
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 package (32 ounces) unsalted chicken broth
- 2 Cups water
- 1 can (10 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 can (16 ounces) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 Pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inch) cut into strips
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in SALT FOR LIFE, pepper, and cumin until onions are well coated. Add garlic and jalapeño; cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, water, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes until chicken is cooked.
Meanwhile heat remaining oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips and toss until well coated with oil. Cook until crispy and golden-brown, stirring as needed. Remove from skillet; set aside.
Remove cooked chicken from sauce pan. Cool slightly and shred with 2 forks. Return shredded chicken back to saucepan. Add lime juice and cilantro. Divide the soup between 8 bowls. Top with tortilla strips and cheese.