- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup apple, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup brown and wild rice blend, such as Organic Harvest Medley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saucepot until hot. Add the shallot and carrot and cook until soft, roughly 3-5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally throughout the cooking process. Remove from heat, and serve.