Rice Pilaf with Apples and Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
This rice pilaf is exceptional served with chicken, game birds, and fish, especially salmon in beurre blanc. Easy to prepare, delicious to eat, and full of healthy fiber and minerals from the pumpkin seeds, this is one of my favorite seasonal menu items.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup apple, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup brown and wild rice blend, such as Organic Harvest Medley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saucepot until hot. Add the shallot and carrot and cook until soft, roughly 3-5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally throughout the cooking process. Remove from heat, and serve.