Red Eye Gravy
You won’t miss the meat in this vegetarian version of the Southern classic.
Add a bit of instant espresso powder to coffee to make regular coffee stronger.
- 1/3 Cup butter or buttery spread
- 1 1/3 Cup minced onion
- 8 Ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze
- 1 Cup very strong black coffee*
- 2 to 3 Teaspoons vegetable stock or broth concentrate
- 1 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Teaspoon liquid smoke or to taste
- Snipped fresh chives
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes more. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in Almond Breeze, then stir in remaining ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes more or until hot and bubbly. Serve over Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits and sprinkle with chives.