- 1 Cup white quinoa
- 1 Cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 small slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 Fourteen-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 Cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 small red chile
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 small whole-wheat pitas, for serving
- Salad greens, sliced avocado, sliced tomato and mayonnaise or yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
In a saucepan, bring the quinoa and broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until all broth has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let it cool slightly.
In a food processor, process the bread until fine bread crumbs form. Add the chickpeas, quinoa, egg, cilantro, cumin, chile, salt, and pepper, and process in short bursts until the mixture is finely chopped. Shape the mixture into four patties. Brush the patties with oil and cook in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until golden, about four minutes per side.
Serve the patties with pitas and, if desired, greens, avocado, tomato, and mayonnaise or yogurt.