“This dish is best made in summer, when your fridge is bursting with grilled or roasted peppers, eggplant, and zucchini. If you have cooked fennel, onions, or mushrooms on hand, throw those in for extra depth of flavor. Ratatouille hails from the Provence region of southern France, so all it needs alongside is a nice wedge of cheese and some baguette. Well, that and a cold glass of rosé.” — From the Bring Your Lunch! cookbook
Keep (chilled) in a leak-proof glass or stainless-steel container for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature or warm slightly before eating.
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Cup chopped grilled or roasted summer vegetables
- ¼ Cup canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 Tablespoons pitted and chopped oil-cured black (or Kalamata olives)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded fresh basil
Stir together the olive oil, vinegar, and garlic in a medium-size bowl. Add the vegetables, tomatoes, and olives and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Top with basil.