This simple cream cheese frosting is seasoned with the official taste of fall: pumpkin spice. Just to be clear there is no actual pumpkin in this frosting, just generous amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
Note that higher quality butter will yield even tastier frosting. Use butter with a high-fat content such as Plugra.
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin spice, plus more for garnish
- 3 Cups confectioners' sugar, or more to taste
- demerara sugar, for garnish
Beat cream cheese and butter together with a mixer or spatula until very smooth with no lumps. Using a mixer will incorporate air and yield a fluffier frosting.
Add vanilla extract, spice, and one cup of the sugar and mix well. Continue adding sugar in small increments to taste.
If too runny, cover and chill in the refrigerator until slightly thickened. Beat the frosting again before frosting cupcakes or whatever dessert you choose. Garnish dessert with large crystal demerara sugar and pumpkin spice, if desired.