PointsPlus Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Casserole Recipe
Here’s a one-pot meal that’s a feast for the eyes. It’s vegetarian, too. Change the beans or cheese to your liking — white or black beans, reduced-fat Cheddar, or Monterey Jack cheeses all work well.
- 1 canned yellow corn, drained, or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 canned mild or hot green chile peppers, chopped
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 fresh or day-old cooked brown rice
- 7/8 shredded, reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
- 3/4 fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 chili powder
- 1/4 salt
- 1/8 black pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped (dark green parts only)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the corn, peppers, beans, rice, 3/4 cup of the cheese, sour cream, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in the scallions.
Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese melts and the casserole is slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes more. If you want to brown the cheese more, place the dish (make sure it's broiler safe) under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
Let stand for 5 minutes to firm up before slicing into 6 pieces.