- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 fifteen-ounce cans of tomatoes, such as Hunt’s® Diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dry basil
- 1/2 Cup tomato paste, such as Hunt’s® tomato paste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 premade pie dough sheets rolled out to one eight thick and cut into twenty-four-inch football shapes, reserve the extra dough
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 Pound cooked loose Italian sausage
- 10 large slices of pepperoni
- Egg wash (two eggs and two tablespoons of milk whisked together)
- 3 Tablespoons cornmeal
- Cooking spray, such as PAM® Original No-Stick Spray
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a medium size pot on high heat with olive oil, add in the onions and garlic and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Next, add in the tomatoes and herbs and bring to a simmer.
Whisk in the tomato paste until the sauce becomes thick, and season with salt and pepper. Cool completely in the refrigerator.
Once the dough is rolled out and the football shapes have been created place a small amount of the tomato sauce in the center of a football-shaped piece of dough. Add on a little shredded cheese and then some pepperoni slices or cooked Italian sausage.
Brush a small amount of the egg wash around the outside edge of the dough and place another piece of dough right on top pressing down around the edges.
Use a fork to press around the outsides to seal them.
Next, cut 4 thin strips per pizza pocket and form football-like strings over the top of the pizza pocket.
Brush the entire pizza pocket with egg wash and place on a cookie sheet tray dusted with corn meal or sprayed with PAM® Original No-Stick Spray and bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.