- 1 Pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or pecan oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 Ounces herb seasoned cubed stuffing
- 2 Cups tart apples, chopped (about 3 small apples)
- 1 and 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a large casserole dish or 9×13 inch pan with non-stick spray.
In a large skillet, brown Italian sausage, breaking it up into crumbles.
Drain on paper towels.
Discard excess grease.
In the same pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat.
Sauté onions, celery, and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until starting to soften and fragrant.
In a large bowl, stir together cooked sausage, sautéed onion mixture, stuffing cubes, apples, and pecans.
Add one cup of broth and stir to combine.
If stuffing mixture is too dry, add additional 1/2 cup of broth or more if desired.
Be careful not to add too much liquid.
Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.