Looking to switch up the dips you serve this fall during football season? This eggplant caponata is easy to make, elegant, and great new dip to enjoy when you feel like giving the basics a rest.
- 1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 Cup pitted green olives
- 1/4 Cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan. Cook the garlic, onion, celery, red pepper, and eggplant until soft. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Put the cooked vegetables in bowl and toss with capers, olives, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper, to taste. Taste, adding more vinegar and olive oil as needed.