"This ultimate cheesesteak, an icon sandwich in Philly, is a best-seller at Pat's King of Steaks Restaurant. Patrons praise its thinly cut beef and crusty Italian rolls."
— Frank E. Olivieri, Philadelphia
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Ketchup (optional)
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- Easy Cheese, or other processed cheese sauce
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- 6 Tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 crusty Italian rolls, split
- 1 1/2 Pound beef rib-eye steaks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Pound sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
In a large skillet, sauté the onion and, if desired, mushrooms and peppers in 3 tablespoons oil until tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, sauté the beef in the remaining oil for 45-60 seconds or until meat reaches desired doneness.
On each roll bottom, layer the beef, onion mixture, cheese, and ketchup if desired. Replace tops.