- 2 farm-fresh zucchini
- 1-2 farm-fresh summer squash
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices pancetta (about ¼ pound), coarsely chopped (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves, roasted and puréed
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Freshly ground black pepper
Scrub the zucchini and summer squash clean and pat dry with paper towels. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini and squash lengthwise into thin wide slices.
Heat the olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta, if using, and sauté until golden and crispy, 3–4 minutes. Add the garlic purée and sauté about 30 seconds. Toss in the zucchini and squash and sauté for 2–3 minutes. Add the half-and-half with 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss thoroughly to coat. Season with nutmeg, Tabasco, and basil and stir to mix. Taste to adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
Transfer to a serving dish, season with the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano and black pepper to taste, and serve.