Open-Face Egg Sandwich Recipe
Instead of egg salad or a sandwich, try this delicate open-faced version that skips the mayonnaise in favor of yogurt, giving the dish a lighter and more airy feel.
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, plus more if needed
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or chives, and/or a small pinch of fresh thyme, plus more if needed
- 4 extra-thin slices artisan whole grain bread
- A bit of unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 4 large eggs, hard cooked and cooled
Combine the yogurt, a couple pinches of salt, a small pinch of pepper, and (most of) whichever herb you choose in a small bowl. Set aside.
Toast the bread until it is deeply golden. Rub each piece with a bit of butter, then take the clove of garlic and rub it against each slice. Set aside.
Crack and peel each egg. Put them in a medium mixing bowl. Add the yogurt mixture and mash with a fork. Don’t overdo it; you want the egg mixture to have some texture. If you need to add more yogurt to moisten the mixture, go for it, a small dollop at a time. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or herbs, if needed. Just before you’re ready to eat, place one-quarter of the egg salad on each slice of bread and top with leftover herbs.