The turkey, the traveling, the tryptophan; let’s face it, there’s a lot of tiring elements to a typical Thanksgiving feast. To help liven up this year’s festivities, the “Cooking Cardiologist,” Dr. Richard Collins, has crafted an easy and affordable solution. Below is his recipe for a “Non-Drowsy Turkey,” which incorporates seasonally-appropriate Red Bull Red Editions (Cranberry flavor) into the brine. This recipe bodes particularly well for Friendsgiving-type celebrations.
You’ll also need: 1 large container to brine the turkey, ice, and a cooler to keep turkey chilled (you can also refrigerate in a large enough container to hold the turkey and brine).
- 2 quarts no-sugar added natural organic apple cider
- ½ Cup kosher salt
- 16 whole black peppercorns
- 4 250-milliliter cans Red Bull Red Edition (cranberry flavored)
- 1 26-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 package fresh herb poultry seasoning (sage, rosemary, and thyme)
- 1 14-pound turkey, thawed and cleaned, giblets removed
- Water, to cover the turkey
In a large saucepan, add the apple cider, salt, peppercorns, Red Bull, chicken broth, and herbs. Bring to a boil. When the salt dissolves, remove from the heat. Cool. Add the brine to the turkey container. Add the turkey and cover with extra water. Be sure the turkey is fully submerged. Cover and chill for 12 hours.
Remove the turkey from the brine and discard the brine. Rinse off the turkey. Pat the turkey dry and set in a heavy roasting pan. Tie the legs together and roast turkey as you would normally.