The whole family will enjoy these sweet, tender waffles. Top each waffle with a dollop of whipped cream if you wish. Be sure to use unsweetened cocoa, not hot chocolate mix.
*From THE NEW ATKINS MADE EASY: A Faster, Simpler Way to Shed Weight and Feel Great—Starting Today! by Colette Heimowitz. Copyright © 2013 by Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. Reprinted by permission of Touchstone, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Truvia or SweetLeaf (natural products made from stevia)
Sweet ’n Low (saccharin)
Xylitol (available in health food stores and some supermarkets)
**To make, mix equal parts coconut flour with ground flaxseed and refrigerate in an airtight container.
Per Serving: Net Carbs: 3 grams; Total Carbs: 7 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Protein: 16 grams;
Fat: 26 grams; Calories: 326; Foundation Vegetables Net Carbs: 0 grams
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 Cup coconut-flax flour blend**
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened protein powder
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cups plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 Cup mascarpone
- 1 Teaspoon acceptable sweetener*
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1. In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
2. In a second large bowl, whisk egg yolks, soy milk, mascarpone, butter, sweetener, and vanilla. Add the coconut-flax flour blend, protein powder, cocoa powder, and baking powder and stir to combine.
3. Add ¼ cup beaten egg whites to the egg yolk mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the egg whites and all of the flour until just combined, about 8 turns, forming a sticky mass. Fold in another ¼ cup egg whites until the mixture becomes lighter, an additional 4–5 turns. Finally, fold in the remaining egg mixture. There will be small lumps. Don’t overmix.
4. Heat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions and mist with cooking spray. Add ½ cup batter and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon. Cover and cook 2–3 minutes or until the waffle is firm and light brown. Repeat with remaining batter and serve immediately. Or cool to room temperature, double-wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze.