- 2-3 Pounds neck or shoulder of lamb
- Bouquet of parsley, thyme and bay leaf (tied together)
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- Salt, such as Himalayan Pink Rock Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small turnip, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 Cup cream
- 2 ½ - 3 ½ Ounces cabbage, shredded
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Soda bread and butter, for serving
Remove the meat from the bone, trim off all the fat, and cut into chunky cubes.
Keep the bones, place the meat in a pot, and cover with cold salted water. Bring to the boil and drain.
In a fresh pot, put the meat, bones, bouquet of herbs, onions, salt, pepper, carrots, leeks, and turnip and cover with water. Simmer gently for one hour.
Skim off the foam as it rises.
Add the potatoes and cream and continue cooking for 25 minutes.
For the last 10 minutes add in the cabbage.
When the meat and vegetables are cooked remove the bones and bouquet of herbs.
Stir in the chopped parsley.
Serve in large bowls with soda bread or any fresh bread with butter.