- 2 Pounds mussels, rinsed, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup bacon, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons shallots, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 Cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Cup dry white wine
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Teaspoon Cholula Chili Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 thick slices of a crusty, country white bread, toasted
- Lemon wedges
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until just cooked through. Do not crisp. Add shallots and garlic and sauté very quickly, about 20 seconds. Add tomatoes and sauté lightly, about 1 minute.
Add white wine, butter, Cholula Chili Garlic, cilantro, and mussels. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and steam until mussels open, about 3–7 minutes. Distribute mussels with the broth into large bowls and serve bread and lemon wedges.