- 4 potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 4 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped, divided
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 Teaspoon dried chipotle chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon epazote, or dried oregano
- 2 Cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 Cup sour cream
- Dash of fresh lime juice
Squeeze excess moisture out of the grated potatoes and then add to a bowl with the egg, jalapeños, red pepper, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, onion, chili powder, and epazote.
In a large frying pan, heat oil until very hot, about 375 degrees. Using your hands to form "lattice-style" patties, drop batter into frying oil. Repeat, but don't crowd the pan. Gently turn the latkes when first side is cooked, about 4 minutes. Cook for 4 minutes longer or until the latkes are cooked through and both sides are a deep golden brown.
Meanwhile, while the latkes are frying, blend the sour cream, the rest of the cilantro, and the lime juice together and set aside for the topping. Drain the latkes on paper towels and serve hot with the topping.