- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 Pound Maryland jumbo lump crab meat or Gulf of Mexico crab, if Maryland is not available
- 20 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 Cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- lemon wedges, for serving
Sort through the crabmeat to ensure there are no cartilage or pieces of shell left.
In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce until smooth.
In a medium bowl, lightly toss the crabmeat with the cracker crumbs. Gently fold in the mayonnaise mixture, then gently fold in the salt, pepper, and half of the chives. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop the crab mixture into eight mounds. Lightly pack each mound into a patty shape, about 1 ½ inches thick. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the crab cakes and cook over medium heat until deeply golden and heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
Transfer the crab cakes to plates and sprinkle the remaining chives on top. Serve with lemon wedges.