Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tin
- 1/3 Cup sugar, plus more for tin
- 8 Ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flower
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso powder
- ¼ Teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Ganache glaze (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush 6 cups of a standard muffin tin with butter and dust with sugar; tap out excess. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let cool.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, espresso powder, and salt. With a mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until completely incorporated. Add flour mixture; beat until combined. Beat in vanilla and chocolate.
Spoon batter until cakes no longer jiggle when tin is shaken, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before turning out cakes. Spread ganache over tops and serve.