Shaved fennel adds a crunchy, refreshing bite to the olives, while the lemon zest and chile pepper liven things up. Fennel greens make the dish colorful and festive.
It only takes minutes to put this together, and you can refrigerate this for up to one week; bring to room temperature before serving.
*Note: You can also substitute 1 small fresh cayenne chile pepper, chopped finely, for every ¼ teaspoon of chile flakes.
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon fennel greens, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chile pepper flakes*
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 strips lemon zest, julienned
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound mixed olives
Using a vegetable hand-peeler, shave 12 strips from each piece of fennel and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir well and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.