- 1 1/2 Cup dried figs (about 16)
- 1 1/2 Cup port wine or cherry juice (no sugar added)
- 4 slices walnut or pecan raisin hearth bread
- 3/4 Pounds wedge Le Gruyère cheese
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
Combine figs and port in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat, cover, and simmer until figs are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool, uncovered.
Remove figs from wine with a slotted spoon and save wine for another use (try it over vanilla ice cream). Trim off and discard the stem ends and slice each fig in half. Cut each slice of bread into 4 pieces. Arrange figs, bread, Le Gruyère, and pears on a cutting board or cheese plate and serve.