Use the cut-up fresh pineapple found at supermarket salad bars to help minimize the kitchen prep. Start with the smaller amount of chipotle puree, and adjust to taste.
- 1 small navel orange
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 2 Cups iced fresh pineapple
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 Teaspoon pureed canned chipotles in adobo to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon, salt
- Pinch each ground: cloves, allspice
Grate the zest from the orange into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
Dice the rest of the orange into ½ inch pieces and add to the pot.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Heat to a boil, then cover with the lid for about 5 minutes, so the condensation dissolves the sugar crystals on the side of the pan.
Uncover and boil gently, stirring often, until thickened, about 15 minutes. (Most of the cranberries will burst.)
Remove from the heat.
Refrigerate, covered, overnight or up to 1 week.
Serve at room temperature.