- 1 whole-wheat sourdough loaf (slightly stale), diced into large chunks
- 6 Honey Crisp apples, peeled and diced
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 1/4 Cup roasted garlic
- 1 Cup celery, diced
- 1/2 Cup celery root, diced
- 1 Cup Comté cheese, grated
- 1 small Burgundy truffle
- 1/2 Cup bacon lardon
- 2 Cups turkey stock
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, chiffonade
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chiffonade
- Salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large pan, render the bacon until almost crisp. Add shallot, celery, and celery root and sweat until cooked through but no color. Incorporate the diced apples and diced bread. Begin to add the turkey stock a little at a time until the bread is completely moist but not falling apart. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Next add the eggs, sage, parsley, and roasted garlic. Check seasoning. Finally add the grated Comté cheese and shaved Burgundy truffle (as much as you feel comfortable). Press into a buttered baking dish and re-moisten with a little more turkey stock so the stuffing does not dry out during baking. Bake uncovered until golden brown on top. If it begins to get too dark, cover with foil.