- 1 1/2 Cup hazelnuts or almonds, crushed
- 1 Cup canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cup cooked kidney or pinto beans
- 2 Cups breadcrumbs, plus extra as needed
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 burger buns
- Lettuce leaves, to garnish
- Tomatoes slices, to garnish
- Sliced onion, to garnish
- Dill pickles, to garnish
- Your favorite burger sauces
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Using a food processor or high-speed blender, process all ingredients to a smooth purée.
Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form each into a patty.
If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs.
Transfer the patties to a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, until well cooked.
Split the burger buns.
Make a bed of salad leaves and tomato slices on the bottom half of each bun, then place a burger on top.
Top the burger with your favorite sauces and cover with the top of the bun.
Recipe courtesy of Vegan: The Cookbook by Jean-Christian Jury, Phaidon 2016, $49.95.