Hamburger Sauce: Salsa all’Americana
Ketchup is the all-American condiment, but instead of squeezing the bottle, try making your own version. Note that this recipe can easily be doubled and the ketchup will keep in the refrigerator for a week or so.
- 1 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped celery
- 2 Teaspoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 Cup water
- One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1/4 Cup red-wine vinegar
In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, carrot, celery, thyme, mustard, cayenne, cinnamon, tomato paste, honey, and salt. Stir in the water and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Then, add the crushed tomatoes and vinegar.
Simmer until the sauce is very thick and flavorful, about 20-30 minutes.