Fresh Corn and Zucchini Cakes
These moist, tender little cakes are an easy and flavorful side dish to serve with simple grilled foods. They're excellent at room temperature, so consider making them ahead and packing them along in your cooler on your next picnic.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 Cup low-fat buttermilk or low-fat milk
- 1/3 Cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ear sweet corn, husked and kernels removed
- 1 zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 Cup chopped onion
- 1/3 Cup chopped mint
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Teaspoons canola oil, preferably expeller-pressed, plus more as needed
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add the corn, zucchini, onion, mint, and zest and stir until combined.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by scant ¼-cup measures into the skillet. Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side (lower the heat if the pancakes begin to brown too deeply before the middle is cooked through). Add more oil between batches if necessary. Serve the pancakes warm or room temperature.