Eggplant and Ricotta Croquettes
Stuffed with eggplant, ricotta, and lots of herbs, croquettes hit the deep-fried spot. Blitz stale bread in the food processor to make your own breadcrumbs. Recipe courtesy of Chef Alessandro Gargani.
- 4 pear-shaped eggplants (not too large)
- ¼ Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 Ounces plain breadcrumbs, plus more if needed
- 7 Ounces Italian-style ricotta
- 3½ Ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sunflower seed oil, for frying
Using a potato peeler, peel the eggplants and dice into ¼-inch cubes.
Place the olive oil in a large sauté pan and sauté the eggplant until soft and mushy (don’t worry if the oil seems too little, it will be enough!).
Add the half of the breadcrumbs, the ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, basil, parsley, eggs, and garlic, and mix well. If the consistency seems too soft to form croquettes, add more breadcrumbs.
Form the mixture into cyllinders, and the roll in the remaining breadcrumbs.
Place the sunflour seed oil in a shallow frying pan, bring the oil to 350 degrees F, and fry in the hot oil until golden brown.