Eggcellent Huevos Rancheros
If you want to start Mom’s special day off with a kick, try making these tasty and flavorful eggs for brunch!
This recipe by celebrity chef Whitney Miller was demonstrated at the 2014 World Food Championships.
- 1 Teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ Cup cubed avocado
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 4 small white corn tortillas
- 3/4 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- ½ Teaspoon honey
- ¼ Teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 Teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- ½ Teaspoon lime juice, divided
- ½ chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons finely diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon crumbled Cotija cheese
Add the olive oil to a small saucepan. Add the diced onion and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, chopped chipotle pepper, 1/4 teaspoon lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, and cumin. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the remaining lime juice, honey, 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, and chicken broth. Season with salt to taste.
Using a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, cut a hole in the middle of each tortilla. Melt a small amount of the butter in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium. Crack an egg in a small bowl and then gently slip it onto the middle of the tortilla so that the yolk fits in the hole. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the egg. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Carefully flip the tortilla over and cook for a few seconds. Transfer to a plate. Repeat the process with the remaining butter, tortillas and eggs.
Serve each egg-in-a-tortilla with the ranchero sauce, cubed avocado, Cotija cheese, and remaining cilantro leaves.