These aren't your mother's chocolate chip-laden, butter-rich, sweet, sugary, melt-in-your-mouth treats you might find at your local bakery or even Mrs. Fields. They are quick and easy to make, don't require any baking at all, taste great, and are good for you, too.
Once you master this basic recipe, begin experimenting, switching out the peanut butter for almond butter, adding in cocoa powder, even shredded coconut or diced mango, if you wish.
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more for greasing
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups puffed brown rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- 1 cup roasted, salted almonds, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
In a small saucepan, mash the banana together with the peanut butter to create a paste. Add the oil, molasses, water, vanilla, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over high heat and then remove from heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
Line a baking sheet with coconut oil. Place the puffed rice in a bowl and combine with the almonds and dried cranberries. Pour the molasses mixture on top and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
Cut into bars and serve.